Former Formula One world champion Jacques Villeneuve of Canada can see no future in Grand Prix racing beyond 2003 if he cannot secure a competitive drive. After five successive seasons without a win, the 1997 champion, whose contract expires at BAR-Honda after the 2003 season, says he has had enough of losing.
"I will have to get an offer from a team at the front of the grid or one that's making big progress so that you can see it will be competitive the next year. But, it's not a question of deciding where I want to go, if you win races, you'll get offers and if you don't, then you won't get much. A bad season in 2003 and I'll be staying at home the next." Villeneuve has finished in the top three only twice since joining BAR in 1999 but he believes next season's 005 that will be unveiled in Barcelona on January 14 could be the team's best car so far. "There's a whole new group of technical people working on it and the numbers on the car look amazing, so we should make a big leap forward," he said. "For once the expectations are high and basically realistic." Villeneuve and Britain's Jenson Button are scheduled to drive for BAR-Honda next season.